Thursday, October 06, 2005

why I wouldn't be a Christian 2

More reasons why a person wouldn’t choose to be a Christian.

  • This one is pure and simple. I don’t want to be embarrassed. If I am not a Christian, then chances are neither are most of my friends. If I become a Christian, I get lumped in with Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, which would be a kiss of death in my social circles. Even if I am intrigued by this Jesus stuff, I am automatically assumed to be a right wing Republican clone.

  • I don’t want to appear politically incorrect. How can I say Jesus is the way to salvation when there are so many other good people who don’t believe this? It is easier for me to just not deal with the whole “Jesus saves” thing and have a salad bar instead.I can have a little Jesus, a little Buddhism, maybe some Hinduism on the side. I can make sure I keep my no-God options open with some statements about Darwinian evolution mechanisms. If I can get a pair of Vans custom made, why not religion?The great thing about this potpourri is I don’t have anyone calling me into question. I am on my own. There is nothing better in an independent culture like ours.

  • Being Christian isn’t cool. The Dali Lama is cool and so Buddhism is definitely an option. Madonna is cool and so I might dabble in the Kabala. Anything Native American is cool so vision quests and dances and those awesome flute CD’s may be just the ticket.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."