Friday, October 14, 2005

responses to why I wouldn't be a Christian 3

More responses to reasons someone might give for not being a Christian

  • This one is pure and simple. I don’t want to be embarrassed. If I am not a Christian, then chances are neither are most of my friends. If I become a Christian, I get lumped in with Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, which would be a kiss of death in my social circles. Even if I am intrigued by this Jesus stuff, I am automatically assumed to be a right wing Republican clone.

It takes ten seconds to realize that Christians come in all varieties. A Christian is someone who trusts in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and follows him in their lives. Within this group of people there are those from all political persuasions. Yes, it is true that currently in America there is a larger percentage of active Christians who tend to vote Republican, but this is certainly not automatic.

Wise Christians focus on what we hold in common. For example, disciples of Jesus have a strong desire to reach out and care for those who are in need. The work done in the name of Jesus to address issues of poverty, “at risk” youth, and so forth, is significant by Christians of all political persuasions. When it comes to specific government response, Christians may simply disagree on strategies to address those needs, not that there is a need itself.

  

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."