Friday, October 21, 2005

response 8


  • I know Christians. They go to church on Sunday, but they don’t live like they believe it on Monday. They gossip and curse. I have seen Christians get wasted at parties. They fight with their spouse and kids. I thought you were supposed to be different if you are a Christian? They act like everybody else if you ask me. At least I don’t pretend like I am something I am not.

    Growing as a disciple is a process. You don't instantly become a completely together person once you become a Christian. Most Christians don't try to pretend we are something we are not. We realize we are sinful people in need of forgiveness. The Christian life is a constant challenge to yield more and more of ourselves and our choices to God's way.

    The more "holier than thou" attitude a Christian has the less likely they have their act together. Connecting with Jesus brings about life transformation and at the heart of transformation is humility.
    I do think it is fair to compare people's behavior to the faith they claim to follow. Yet, don't use some people's behavior as a sole reason not to explore the Christian faith. Jesus and the Bible do not make claims that we are better than other people. In fact, the Bible says directly,

    Don't be selfish; don't live to make a good impression on others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself. (Philippians 2:3)

    Another fair question to ask is, "Why are so many Christians so caring and gracious?"

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."