Sunday, September 12, 2004

is the bible without error?


Is the Bible without error? Why are you asking this question? Do you think that the Bible has to be without error in order for you to trust in Jesus? I don't. For me, one thing has to be historically accurate in order for me to trust in Jesus. The physical death and resurrection of Jesus. In other words, Jesus died and rose from the dead physically, never to die again.

Now, I do trust in the accuracy of the Bible. I'm just saying that if you were to discover errors in some of the Bible's writings, it would not cancel out the death and resurrection. As Greg Koukl says, 'It's not the inerrancy of Scripture that is essential, it is the inerrancy of the death and resurrection of Jesus.' So, though I do trust in the accuracy of the Bible, the historical evidence of the death and resurrection of Jesus is where I stake my claim that Jesus is who he says he is.

After rising from the dead, never to die again, everything else is no big deal. If he has the power to raise from the dead and never die again, then he must have some powerful "kung fu." (Sorry, too many martial arts movies lately) Seriously, if the historical evidence supports his resurrection, then it would be reasonable to accept the accuracy of what he says about himself and it would be reasonable to follow his teachings.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."