Friday, September 24, 2004

at one with the universe?

I saw a report yesterday about yet another attempt to say spirituality is wired into our genes. Let's think about that for a moment.

What is meant by spirituality? Well, the author used the key phrase, "You feel at one with all that surrounds you" or something to that effect. If you answered, "yes" then you are on your way to being considered spiritual.

Well, I must not be spriritual. I don't feel at one with all that surrounds me. In fact, I feel a bit disjointed with all that surrounds me most of the time.

People- I have no at-one-ness with someone who wants to kill me and my family because we are Christian. I have no bond with someone who wants to kill me and my family because I am an American. I pray for those who wish me dead, but I do not feel any connectedness.

"Can't we all just get along?"- Rodney King

"No we can't. We have to develop into the kind of people who can get along."- Dallas Willard

Place- I am not at-one with dust. I used to be a semi-clean freak. So, for almost half my life I choose to live in a desert. It's LA, but it's still a desert. No, dust here, right?

Thing- I am not at-one with small print. I have glasses. I can squint. But it seems to me, if you want me to know something, you wouldn't hide it in tiny font. Unless you didn't want me to know something. Then, that's deception. And I'm not down with that.


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."