Monday, May 29, 2006

Sarai


It was a very sad weekend because one of our dogs, Sarai, became paralyzed in her rear legs. There were no warning signs and so it was very sudden. She was “put to sleep” on Saturday morning. The whole family was there in the exam room with the veterinarian. We consulted about options, actually none to really try, and so said goodbye. Nancy and the kids had a good cry and then left the room. I stayed in the room with the vet, knelt down and hugged Sarai, and then I started bawling all over her. The vet was very compassionate and actually was quite comforting.

We miss the sound of Sarai’s nails scratching on our hardwood floors as she follows Nancy wherever she goes. I miss her coming up to me and staring at me, like she would be right now as I am writing this. You touch the top of her head every once in awhile and she would stay with you forever. We got her in 2000 from an animal shelter on the day they were going to put her to sleep. She was probably about 5 or 6 then, and so she lived a good long life.

I always think of our dogs when I read Genesis 2.

18And the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a companion who will help him." 19So the LORD God formed from the soil every kind of animal and bird. He brought them to Adam to see what he would call them, and Adam chose a name for each one. 20He gave names to all the livestock, birds, and wild animals. But still there was no companion suitable for him.

Well, I named Sarai. I wanted something Biblical and different. For a dog, she was more than a “suitable companion;” she was a “life enhancer,” as it were, and she will be sorely missed.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."