Thursday, May 11, 2006

a guy thing?

We are starting to do stuff with the high school guys at church. The young women do a cool God Chicks ministry together and so we thought we would expand, as well. We went to MI 3 together and then talked about life at Fatburger. We decided we weren’t naming our group because, “Name? We don’t need no stinking name!”

The high schoolers are looking forward to our time together. Guys enjoy bonding, sometimes similar to women, sometimes different. We’ll see. I am bonding right now in Colorado with my good friend Rich Melheim. Just 5 minutes ago, we were talking about why many men “hate” church. As we talked, I was multi-tasking and looking at the songs for worship this Sunday. Then we laughed as I saw this.

Draw Me Close
Draw me close to you
Never let me go
I lay it all down again
To hear You say
that I’m your friend

You are my desire.
No one else will do.
‘Cause nothing else
Could take Your place,

To feel the warmth
Of your embrace.
Help me find the way,
Bring me back to You!

You’re all I want!
You’re all I’ve ever needed
You’re all I want!
Help me know You are near!

Now picture this-- Truck driver, construction worker, middle linebacker…Don’t understand the biblical intimacy metaphors with Jesus as the object of my affection.

Is this a worship song or am I a guy singing an erotic love song to another guy? What is wrong with this picture? And I will certainly wonder about every other guy in the room.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."