Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day

Today is May Day. May Day when I was a kid, was a day we honored the ladies of the neighborhood, by secretly bringing flower baskets to their doorsteps, ringing the bell and running away before they can see us. Can you imagine?

That one custom is a good example to take inventory on how things are going today. Let’s look at the same scenario from a modern perspective.

· In many neighborhoods, I couldn’t even get to the front door. The home is behind gates, or maybe in a guard-gated community.


· I may not even know who the women in my neighborhood are, let alone wish to leave them flowers.


· 12 year old boys letting neighborhood women know how much they appreciate them? A little awkward… Do you feel the sexual tension? Sounds like the beginning of a future Oscar-nominated movie.


· Will I get arrested for leaving a basket unattended on the doorstep of a neighbor? After all, it might be a bomb!


· Will I get arrested for trespassing?


· Will I get sued because I left a basket at one house but not another?


· What if the lady of the house has an allergic reaction to the flowers I brought? Sued again?

Who would have thought May Day could be so bittersweet? Mrs. Kwas, Mrs. Helland, and all you other ladies on Elmwood Drive, God bless you or bless your memory. Happy May Day.

e mail me at christcast@gmail.com

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."