Friday, June 02, 2006

the bible says

“The Bible says…”

Run away from someone who starts a discussion with this phrase unless they are quoting scripture. Likely they really mean,


“I have a viewpoint and it disagrees with yours and so I must be right because the Bible says it, so I invite you to admit the error of your ways and we will have no further discussion on this topic.”

Speaking of the Bible, at the very least we would start the sentence like this.

“My interpretation of the Bible, after deep, careful, straightforward thinking is…I could be wrong, and I realize there are intelligent and faithful Christians who interpret this far differently than me. What do you think?”

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."