Monday, June 23, 2008

it's a new day



O.K. the most influential biblical scholar in my life for the last several years has been N.T. Wright. I recommend his book Simply Christian as a Luther's catechism/ C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity wrapped up in one. A must read for Christians and an awesome read for seeking skeptics. 

Well, Wright has a new book out, Surprised by Joy: Rethinking Heaven, The Resurrection, and The Mission of the Church which will be another amazing classic. So, why am I freaked out? One of the most brilliant biblical scholars alive today and I caught Wright on the Colbert Report!!

It's a whole new world folks. God gets his word out however he wants. The age of media is blending everything together. Enjoy.



2 comments:

Steven Carr said...

Hebrews 1

In the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth,
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
They will perish, but you remain;
they will all wear out like a garment.
You will roll them up like a robe;
like a garment they will be changed.

The heavens and earth will be rolled up and discarded, in the way that clothes are changed.

The old clothes that have perished are thrown away, and replaced with new clothes.

The old clothes are rolled up and thrown away.

Wright is very good on explaining this 'clothing' metaphor, which many people up to now have failed to understand.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed seeing him interviewed, even by Colbert, of all people! I thought he was brilliant, yet very humble and patient, and had a great sense of humor. I have been wanting to read "Simply Christian" for a while, but hadn't gotten to it. So many books, so little time! So I ordered both books. For anyone interested, I am currently reading "To Live Is Christ" by Beth Moore. It is a great book on the life of the Apostle Paul. I am having a hard time putting it down. I think it would appeal to mature Christians and someone like me, who has a lot of catching up to do!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."