Wednesday, March 08, 2006

what do you want?

I went to a noon Lenten healing service today. It was a very meaningful time and I enjoyed the company of “senior saints” who were present. They all went up to the altar as I did, and knelt before the pastor who laid hands on them, pronounced the power of Jesus and anointed each with oil.

I missed one thing. The pastor’s words were the same for each. A beautiful prayer of declaring the “healing power of Christ’s love.” Amen to that, but I wanted him to ask me what I needed healing for and pray specifically for that. I wanted to hear the healing power of Jesus specifically addressing that need. Now, he probably knows the most obvious of his flock’s pains and illnesses, but you never know…and he didn’t know mine.

I like this approach from Jesus. When a guy named Bartimaeus cried out to Jesus, here is what happened.


51"What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked.
"Teacher," the blind man said, "I want to see!"
52And Jesus said to him, "Go your way. Your faith has healed you." And instantly the blind man could see! Then he followed Jesus down the road.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."