Thursday, March 16, 2006

scooping CBS

Well, CBS news is finally catching up to Think Again blog. Here is an article today. Now go back to February 24. Interesting. Not that I scooped CBS. Obviously I got my news from someone else. What is interesting is the access to information for the public as a result of so much media being available. I don’t have to take anyone’s word anymore about what is going on in the world.

If I want to find out what is going on in any place, I can simply sift through the information, process the a priori bias (some are more blatant than others), as there generally is one, and come to some conclusions. Normal mainstream news is designed to make everything look like a crisis. “If it bleeds it leads,” in other words. Yet, unlike the past, I can go directly to the sources to see what actually is happening, most of the time.

This is helpful in all areas of life.

“Seek the truth at all possible cost.”

One cost is I need to read and examine information that is not in agreement with my worldview. Try it and you will find many fascinating perspectives.

Like when people get real angry and mean-spirited and start lots of name-calling, then you know whatever the opposite point of view is must have a pretty powerful logical argument based on evidence, or else reason would question reason. For example, screaming against something and using extremely aggressive tactics must mean you aren’t that confident in the reasonability of your viewpoint.

Take a deep breath….

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."