Tuesday, February 14, 2006

what I can do

A young friend of mine saw a video in school concerning the horrible treatment of African Americans in the South, in particular prior to the Civil Rights Movement. I don’t know what documentary or which events she viewed but her spontaneous comment was interesting.

“I can’t believe what we did to people.”

I asked her if she meant “What humans could do to each other.” No, she was referring more to what Anglos did to African Americans. It doesn’t work that way. We had a good talk on taking responsibility.

I can serve God by being an influence for the good of others. I can express regret that someone else is treated unjustly, I can work for justice in the present and the future, but I cannot make amends for someone else’s past. I have no personal connection to the event or events of racism my friend was viewing. Even if my family were from the South at that time and were involved in racist behavior, which they are not and were not, I can’t seek forgiveness for someone else, personally. I can seek forgiveness along with you for the mistreatment of people of all times and in all places, as a human being. I can seek forgiveness for what I have not done to bring blessing to others and for what I have done that was sinful toward others.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."