Tuesday, February 21, 2006

hope

I knew this would happen. I worked an Epiphany weekend this past three days. It is a spiritual retreat in prison. California Youth Authority, or incarcerated young men, ages 18-25. I knew after the weekend I would come out with some insight as to what makes for hope for these guys. If you have worked with young people in gangs you already know what I am talking about. That is if you don’t have a political agenda.

All the talk is just talk. Educators, politicians, college professors, community activists have no idea. All you hear is empty politicized sound bites. Ex-gang members know. Or ask the CO’s. The guards. The only thing that seems to work to bring these young men from despair to hope is something that would drive separation of church/state organizations crazy. Where is there hope?

Gee, guess where?

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."