Thursday, November 25, 2004

a tough time for preachers

If you are a chef, you are sensitive to how food is prepared and presented. If you are a vintner, you probably freak over “two buck chuck.” If you are an auto detailer, you don’t want to look at my car right now.

If you are a preacher, this has not been a good time for you. I guarantee it. We have just finished an election cycle, after all. Preachers have to be so careful what they say, so that their words mean exactly what they intend them to mean. A good preacher never tries to use “spin” or verbal manipulation of any kind. Listening to candidates and campaign managers and the like is similar to going to a pro wrestling match. You don’t expect much of substance to come out, although the action is mildly entertaining.

A good preacher has a different standard.

Preach the word of God. Be persistent, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching. (2 Timothy 4:2)

There is not too much “fudge” room here. An honest, careful, straight-forward study of the Bible with an honest, careful, straight-forward application for daily living is the heart of the matter for a preacher.

I don’t have any solution for “spin” and verbal manipulation. They seem like part of our cultural landscape. But, I do know we personally don’t have to buy into it.

At my best, true self here is what I will do. When you speak with me, I will give you time to express what you want to say. I will make sure what I heard is what you said. I will not be thinking of the best comeback for what you are saying while you are speaking. Pauses are not invitations to rush in with more words. If we are actually trying to accomplish something enlightening together, than let’s take some time to do that. I will not try to figure out why you are wrong if I disagree with you. I will establish in a principled reasonable fashion that you are wrong, first. And indeed, in all of this, I may be wrong. You are invited to show me this in a principled reasonable fashion.

Now you can see why preachers will never be in charge of presidential debates.


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."