Sunday, November 28, 2004

on not going it alone

Do you ever see anyone in their teens or twenties by themselves? I know there are “loners” out there in every generation, some by choice, some by unfortunate circumstances. But I am talking about young people who spend any significant time by themselves? It seems to me that my generation and the generations before have many people, including myself, who like to spend time alone. This doesn’t seem to be the case any more. So what gives?

Community just seems to be the way to live. Whether it is for fun or for survival in today’s complex world, everyone seems to have a “backup.” There is a real longing for belonging. So, whenever you wish to be an influence with young people, think community. Think discovering things together. Think there are times that it’s not what you learn that’s as important as who you are learning with. I’m not saying this is a good thing, it’s just a real thing.


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."