Tuesday, November 01, 2005

response 15

  • My family is Jewish (or Moslem). They would disown me and never talk to me again if I ever became a Christian. It would break my grandma’s heart.

I do not take this lightly. Living in Los Angeles, I know Jews and Muslims who have become Christian. In normal circumstances, when you fully acknowledge Jesus as your Savior, it brings about a change in your life. This is not without hardship. Friends may shun you. Family members might think you are strange. Life goes on.

In the case of Jews and Muslims, it can bring about more than just family crisis. With some Jews and Muslims, mothers and fathers refuse to talk to their children who have come to Christ. In cases of strict Islam, Muslim immigrants from countries like Saudi Arabia or Iran may never be able to return to their homeland. It is one thing to have trust in Jesus and your friends think you are kind of weird. It is another thing to be treated as if you no longer existed. Jesus knew the stakes.

Luke 12:51-53 (NLT)  
    Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to bring strife and division! [52] From now on families will be split apart, three in favor of me, and two against—or the other way around. [53] There will be a division between father and son, mother and daughter, mother-in-law and daughter-in-law."
What is the answer? If you have been reached by Jesus you don’t have a choice. He is your Lord as well as your Savior. You follow him, paying a dear price. It is worth it because of the paid he price. You can’t control what others might think, but you can keep your eyes on him.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."