Wednesday, November 02, 2005

post-Halloween musings

Is it just me or was Halloween a bit of a bust this year? It didn’t seem like nearly as many people decorated their houses or any mad advertising campaigns and such. Maybe I’m just not getting out much. I didn’t get to see “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown,” either (Are they still showing Charlie Brown?).

I’m not complaining, as Halloween has always been a bit bizarre for me since adults started getting into the act. When I was a child, I can’t imagine my mom and dad going to a Halloween party dressed up, let alone trying to do that myself as a teenager. Probably would have been beat up if I showed up in a costume at my high school.

The gory and scary stuff of Halloween is no longer compelling, as everything one could possibly do to a human has already been done on CSI. I do have to admit though, there are some cool things you can do with movie makeup. Our boys were eerily realistic with a skull face on one and a railroad spike sticking out of his head for the other. A friend who works for Disney did the special effects honors. It was awesome and awful. I have no idea what the symbolism all means in their case, but our family does go back to the 19th century in the funeral business. Perhaps we’re just weird. I am looking forward to Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."