Thursday, September 07, 2006

now I am in trouble

Another terrorist plot has been foiled. This time in Denmark. Nine suspects were arrested; later two were released. Explosives used to build bombs were found with them. They are from the Danish city of Odense. Being of Danish heritage myself, I will give my observations.

- One of the suspects is an “ethnic Dane.” Good luck to me now when I fly next. It was bad enough when Nancy had to go to a separate area, have her disposable underwater cameras scrutinized in two different machines, took apart, and all the rest when we went to Maui. Now they are going to profile blond hair, blue eyes? I am fine with that. No hair you see!

- The reason this story has no legs in the news is it is about Denmark. Danes get no respect. Something about a country that is about the size of LA county. Or they are too busy partying to do anything newsworthy? I just don’t know.

- The suspects are known by the local imam (Muslim “pastor”) in the area. His phone number was in one of the suspect’s pockets. I don’t know what I would do if you arrest 7 potential bombers from my church? Probably say something about, “The leadership of First Lutheran can go on record saying we are not fond of murder. These gentlemen will no longer be allowed to play on the church softball team.” But here is what the imam actually says:

Abu Bashar, an imam in Odense, told the Associated Press that he knew the suspects and predicted that the charges would be dropped. But he said he expected terrorists eventually to strike Denmark, which has about 500 soldiers supporting the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq.

"Osama bin Laden said in a message three years ago that he will punish the countries that have [troops] in Iraq," Bashar said. "Denmark is on the list."

How can he be so confident and matter of fact that, of course innocent men, women and children would be blown up? Nice touch there about his inside knowledge that the charges will be dropped. The explosives weren’t really meant for bombs. Just fireworks for the Queen’s birthday, April 16. Excellent.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."