Friday, December 09, 2005

design is here to stay


The more and more powerful the instruments of investigation the greater the intricacies of design one will see in nature. This has always been a given in the scientific enterprise. What are scientists thinking who are shocked that there is controversy brewing about speculations they have made concerning “random and purposeless” development? How dare anyone question their worldview? It reminds me of the whole “don’t look behind the curtain” Wizard of Oz thing.

More than any other single factor, I think what is really behind a lot of the “don’t look behind the curtain” thought is this. If we are simply a product of our “particles” responding to our environment, then we are not ultimately responsible for our attitudes and actions. If my development is random and purposeless, then so is my life. Then I can live any way I choose. I can do anything I want. There is no right or wrong (except if you don’t agree with me; then you are wrong). Good or evil. There is just protons, neutrons, electrons, quarks and the rest mixing it up and making “me,” me. There appear to be those in positions of power at the university level, who lean in this direction.

If you are a proponent of “physicalism,” the physical is all there is, then you are tempted to ignore contrary evidence, in particular if you hold positions of power in your field. Your thirst for power may trump your insatiable curiosity to further explore the possibilities of the metaphysical. Like anyone else, if scientists are completely honest with themselves, they will go where the evidence leads. Period. It’s not as if a scientist is simply going to say, “It’s too complicated for me. Let’s just forget about it.” Whether we like it or not, design is here to stay.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."