Monday, June 13, 2005

what are we thinking?

I haven’t been following the case of the missing teenager, Natalee Holloway, in Aruba. Too sensationalist and too close to home, having a teenage daughter ourselves. My instant response is probably that of most parents of teenagers. Concern for the young woman followed immediately by “What in the world is a kid doing going on a trip like that anyway?”

Kind of like a high school trip to Cancun. Hello, looking for a place we can engage in a little CH3CH2OH at an earlier age, are we? If alcohol isn’t involved in this case, I would be shocked.

I did finally read an article this morning. It’s good to know that the 124 students from the same Alabama high school who were down in Aruba at least had chaperones. Seven. A healthy ratio of almost 18 kids to one adult. If you have ever chaperoned a high school trip anywhere you know that ratio is a bit excessive! Maybe 8 to 1 in a biosphere, but 18 to 1?! I know most of the students were probably 18, but then why are there chaperones at all?

I pray for Natalee and her parents. If you are a teen or a parent of a teen, stop what you are doing and think for a moment. Think.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."