Wednesday, June 15, 2005

crying, "Wolf!" once too often

When I use a label as a substitute for logical discourse, I have surrendered my intellectual integrity. Throwing around terms like “Nazi” or “fascist” simply show you that I don’t have an adequate argument in my debate arsenal and so I just fire away with hyperbole. This is not a new phenomenon; however it has become so prevalent that it appears normal. The same goes for the word, “Hate.” If you disagree with me you hate me, in present discourse.

I need to be very careful of this line of thinking. There seems to be a rise in anti-Christian rhetoric coming from many different places. When someone speaks harshly against my faith or my brothers and sisters in the faith, I can’t automatically assume they are being hateful. Much of the time they are simply exaggerating for the sake of effect.

This is why I find it difficult to understand “hate speech.” How would you define it? Is it hate speech if you disagree with me? Is it hate speech if you disagree with me and you give a principled, reasoned argument against my position? Of course not. Is it hate speech if you simply start using labels? It might be lazy speech but hate speech?

I just wonder in this litigious world of ours what happens when Christians start meeting with their lawyers and pursue legal “hate speech” angles against the hyperbolic rhetoric? I pray this doesn’t happen. From the halls of Congress, the front page of newspapers and the classrooms of American universities, Christians have become a popular target. Is this a rise in hatred? I don’t think so. Harsh speech for the purpose of attention is more likely.

If people were really smart and they wanted to have an influence in today’s language climate, I can’t think of a more powerful tool than principled, reasonable discourse delivered in a gracious manner. This sounds a lot like effective preaching. Go figure.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."