Thursday, June 02, 2005

trust and the olive tree

Psalm 52:8-9 (NLT)
But I am like an olive tree,
thriving in the house of God.
I trust in God's unfailing love
forever and ever.
[9] I will praise you forever, O God,
for what you have done.
I will wait for your mercies
in the presence of your people.

Olive trees can live for 3000 years. The more fruit the better longevity. Being healthy and secure in the presence of God brings about a trust that lasts forever. As verse 9 explains, this trust is further strengthened as you live a life of worship and gratitude being fueled by the Holy Spirit working through other Christians in community. To be in a trusting relationship with God makes it possible to be in trusting relationships with people.

This is the base camp that you live out of and you face everything else secure because you never leave the base. Your camp is always moving ahead of you. Surrounded by God and his people, you are completely safe to risk the intimacy that basic trust entails. You will be disappointed, perhaps betrayed, but from the core of steadfast love you will not be broken by your circumstances.

If I can trust Jesus with my life then I can trust you. I will take care with my trust, using the wisdom Jesus gives me through his Word, his community, and the situations I discover as I travel on the way. Risking trust becomes a real possibility.

Chances are, olives are going to appear on the tree next season, too.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."