Thursday, February 24, 2005

where do citizens of God's Kingdom live?

Disciples of Jesus live in God’s Kingdom now. Though it has not been fully revealed to us, there are certainly glimpses he favors us with. In 1 Peter, we are called a “kingdom of priests, God’s holy nation.” We all have access to God and are citizen’s of his kingdom forever. Then we read this.

1 Peter 2:11 (NLT)
Dear brothers and sisters, you are foreigners and aliens here. So I warn you to keep away from evil desires because they fight against your very souls.

Here lies the tension. I am a disciple of Jesus who lives in a foreign land, America. But it is more than this. I am a disciple of Jesus who lives in a foreign land, my family. I am a disciple of Jesus who lives in a foreign land, my church. Do you see what Peter is getting at?

We are God’s and wherever we attach our allegiances, we are living in his Kingdom in the midst of that attachment. Whether family, church, or country, we remain Kingdom citizens first. What is the privilege and responsibility of a disciple in God’s Kingdom while living on earth? Work with Jesus and be an influence to reach others for Christ. Be a “Kingdom recruiter,” as it were.

I have been placed in the reality of family and country. These are ordained by God as social structures to keep sin in check and to be the place where I live out my discipleship. Church is where I connect with other disciples and potential disciples to join together in our Kingdom work.

Each of these social structures is precious to me. Each is an institution where sinful human beings gather. Each is fraught with hardship and struggle. And each is a venue for my loyalty. Just as I work for the benefit of my family and church, I work for the benefit of America. Just as I give my family wide boundaries of graciousness in our life together, I give my country and my church the same. When I am being an effective witness for Jesus, I don’t “bash” my family, church, or country. I also am not so attached that I allow any of these entities to overpower my loyalty to Jesus first.

This is where a balance God’s Kingdom already come and yet not fully revealed becomes the place where I live.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."