Tuesday, February 22, 2005

generosity

One of the most basic spiritual disciplines is generosity. No area touches home with the action that is involved quite like this. Giving money for the mission of Kingdom Work is the only investment we have that has eternal potential.

God gives the guideline of a tithe (10 % of income) as a place to start in giving back to his work what he has already given us. Generosity moves there and beyond. There is no more life-changing act than this and most Christians are reluctant to pursue it. Wouldn’t that just be the case?

The reason Christians are hesitant to tithe is simple. Insecurity. I don’t think it is selfishness. The lack of tithing and beyond is a trust issue. I can practice all other disciplines, worship on a weekly basis, and have a ministry, all marks of a disciple, but they all cost me only time. Time I would be spending on something else anyway. Christians understand this eventually.

I wonder why we don’t have the same viewpoint when it comes to money? I am moving toward a tithe and beyond. I would only be spending the money on something else anyway.

Tithing and beyond will not automatically turn someone into a strong disciple. But until you address that core issue of security/ insecurity, there will be little growth. Nothing keeps a Christian from becoming a disciple more than hoarding what’s not ours in the first place.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."