Monday, December 27, 2004

natural disasters

Living in earthquake country, whenever I hear of one occurring somewhere else, I take notice. But, when the earthquake is followed by tidal waves, or tsunamis, as they are called, the notice is followed by amazement. I have been through a big earthquake, but waves traveling at 500 miles an hour? I can’t even imagine.

My prayers go out for the families and loved ones of so many; 23000+ at my last check. The devastation of 20 foot walls of water is pronounced. In the days ahead there will be many questions. First among them will be why?

Why did so many die? Most of the death occurred on islands and low-lying coast land. Also, tsunamis are so rare in the Indian Ocean that, unlike other areas of the world, there was no early warning system. Many of the dead were clad in swim suits. There is another why question whenever there is a natural disaster of such magnitude. Why did God do this?

Consider two points. First, only people who live in these kind of island and coastal areas, or are visiting, are going to be affected by tsunamis. We know where we live has an impact of our risk level of certain disasters. Hurricanes in Florida, earthquakes in my backyard; we know what is possible and are willing to take the risk. Humans choose to live where they are susceptible. It’s not a God thing where we settle.

Second, why tsunamis in the first place? Factually, earthquakes and tsunamis are essential to “stir” up nutrients in the world’s oceans. Without them, we would not be here. This is no solace for those who have been so devastated, but without natural “disasters,” advanced life would not be possible on earth.

So, what does this all mean? I don’t know about tsunamis. I don’t know why God designed earth’s life enhancing systems in such a way. I only know that one way or another we all face personal “tsunamis” in our lives. Devastating, unexpected disasters come calling as part of the human condition. And I do know something else.

I know that when I have been wiped out, it was holding on to Jesus that got me through. Jesus was able to bring new life in the midst of the pain. And I know another thing. The earth is not my home. My home is the kingdom of God where I live now, and will live face-to-face with Jesus forever, some day. Martin Luther said it in the old hymn, A Mighty Fortress,

Let goods and kindred go,
This mortal life also.
The body they may kill;
God's truth abideth still.
His kingdom is forever.


I don’t have anywhere else to go. I’ll stick with Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey PD! I'm glad you commented on the disaster in Indonesia/India. I am preaching this Sunday and wondering if I should bring it in to my sermon. Since this Sunday is the John 1 text in the lectionary, it reminds me that Jesus entered our broken, cracked and tsunami filled world to become one of us. The light shined in the darkness but some chose the darkness still. The same Jesus created the tectonic plates was born in a manger. He felt people's pain and I'm sure is there in these devassted parts of the world being incarnated again to help those who have survived. Our only hope for those swept away were that they had a change to here about the incarnated One!

Peace, PM aka Andy

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."