Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Congressional leadership

At the American Legion yesterday, had time to talk to Congressman Brad Sherman, and his aide Matt. Matt remembered my name and who I was and and introduced me before the Congressman had a chance to say anything. Kind of like Hector Elizando in The Princess Diaries (Hector belonged to my health club and is a pretty down to earth guy, but that's for another day). Matt gets high marks by me. Gracious and effective at what he does.

Congressman Sherman gets high marks, too. Here is why. Every time I have heard him speak in a public gathering, he uses a lot of self-effacing humor. He does a preempt on what people think about politics and politicians and sets the tone for everyone to relax. This is a big thing when it comes to leadership and speaking. Instead of regurgitating some internet joke from an e mail forward, just find a way to cut up on yourself. That'll work.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."