Wednesday, August 09, 2006

discrimination

There are certainly instances of discrimination that occur in various societies. When I am speaking of “anyone except me” ism, this does not mean for the sake of advantage, I may not join forces with other “me first” people and together we work against others. I may well do that as a sinful human. Deciding who is in and who is out is an art practiced by most.

I think of the phenomenon of Elvis. Yes, he had a good “blues” voice and a charismatic presence. Yet, were there black singers at the time who were more talented and more charismatic? Certainly possible. Perhaps Elvis is simply the designated white guy who was allowed to sing the blues music that America, in particular the white American audience, was discovering, though it was actually an art form created and dominated by black Americans. We will never know the possibilities.

Obviously the same can be said for athletics in the 20th century. The film, “Glory Road,” is one look at the situation. For instance, no matter how much retro-observation, we will always be more familiar with a Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth than a Josh Gibson or Buck Leonard. It is just a reality of discrimination having a lasting impact.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."