Wednesday, March 30, 2005

the yoke of Jesus

Matthew 11:29-30 (NLT)
Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. [30] For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light."

Matthew 28:20 (NLT)
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

The resurrection of Jesus changes everything. I can learn from him and accomplish what he wants done. But the way he works means I can’t apply his teachings to my agenda. I am no longer in the drivers’ seat.

Jesus says, “Take my yoke…” The yoke is a tool that is used to increase the effectiveness of the work of two animals. Take an ox. An experienced ox is yoked to an inexperienced one and they work together. In time, the rookie learns to work in cooperation with the master. The experienced ox sets the pace and gives direction. Good plowing occurs when the two animals work as one.

This is what Jesus means (I think) when he says, “Take my yoke..”

“Join me in my work and you will find rest for your soul.”

Why?

“Because you will be doing exactly what I created you to do all along.”

What does this have to with the resurrection? Because he is alive, he can yoke with me. When he says, “I am with you always,” it’s not primarily saying, “I will protect you.” We so often think of security and safety. O, we are completely safe and secure with Jesus, in the long run, don’t get me wrong.

But it is more than this. It is Jesus saying, “Join me in my Kingdom work and I will remain yoked to you.” This means so much more.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."