Wednesday, October 20, 2004

on being honest

I have talked about brain development (9/6/04) before. The brain doesn’t complete all of its connections in the judgment center (prefrontal cortex) until about 25 years old. Prior to this time, it would be physiologically normal for a person to not always make the wisest decisions, even if they wanted to. If you are a parent of a teenager, you know this to be the case. But, as an adult of over 25 years, you can still make choices that are not thought through carefully.

However, now there is a difference. Unless you have an abnormality or chemical imbalance in your brain, you are totally responsible for your attitudes and actions. You are physiologically quite able to think clearly and act accordingly. This seems so obvious, but it is not generally known to be true.

Too often, as an adult, I am told I am not responsible. Some politicians make promises that they will take care of me. Attorneys on the radio tell me it’s not my fault and they will help me convince a judge this is so. Even some churches get in the act. They tell me I am a victim of life’s circumstances and if I connect with them I will be healed. Well, almost.

I will be healed if I connect to the healer, Jesus. But the road to healing is to realize the source of almost all of my problems in life is staring at me in a mirror. Yes, it is I, Lord. I am not responsible for what is done to me. I am responsible for how I respond. So, the journey to healing and wholeness begins with being honest before God. Like standing before that great cosmic AA meeting.

“I am Dana, and I am a sinner.”

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."