Thursday, October 28, 2004

let the voter beware

As I hope I have made clear, it is illogical to think you can possibly isolate your decision making from your faith. In fact, as I have alluded to before, it would be a glaring injustice if politicians of biblical faith ignored the Bible’s clear call to care for the needy and the poor (e.g. Matthew 25:31-46). The Bible’s call to protect children (e.g. Matthew 18:1-6). Can you imagine anyone standing and saying,

“I have a deep faith that impacts every area of my life. But I don’t want to impose my religious beliefs on others who don’t share my faith. Therefore, I must respectfully vote against any funds going toward this pediatric clinic.”

Now, we have to recognize there are indeed religions that do not place the same strong emphasis on caring for the poor, including poor children. There are worldviews, for example, where belief in reincarnation brings with it a belief in absolute fate. In this case, it may be wrong to interrupt someone’s life circumstances if they are living out their fate. You would be messing around with someone's just reward.

Fortunately, not everyone who follows these “fate”-based religions actually practices them in this way. But, even if people were to interpret their religion to mean you shouldn’t help those in need, including children, this doesn’t mean these same people don’t have the right to run for political office. In America we rely on the voter to decide.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."