Monday, October 04, 2004

designed to follow Jesus

You are designed to follow Jesus. Consider this.

Matthew 11:28-30 (NLT)
Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. [29] Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. [30] For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light."

The “yoke” is used to keep two oxen working together. If one goes off in a different direction, the plowing doesn’t work. The stronger ox works with the weaker. The purpose of the yoke is to keep the direction and the effort in harmony.

When you connect with Jesus and follow him, you are “yoked” to him. You never face life alone. Being yoked, you don’t remain passive. You work with him.

Dallas Willard says it this way:

“Jesus said, ‘Without me, you can do nothing.’ He could just as easily said, ‘If you do nothing, it will certainly be without me.’”

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."