Monday, January 23, 2006

what if?

Let’s think philosophically about some of the implications of taking a purely physical view of reality.

Hypothesis: The physical or material is all there is.

  • If my behavior is “pre-wired” genetically, and then developed physiologically, is there a sense that morality is non-existent? How could some action be moral or immoral if it is simply the result of my physical being?
  • Do we make a values judgment on a sneeze or a hiccup?
  • Do we make judgments about computer operations when they are accomplished? (Oh, wait, that’s not a very good analogy! I judge my computer all the time, especially when it freezes up!)
  • If my neurons and physiological structures bring about behavior that is considered harmful, is there any grounds for my being punished? Or at most would my imprisonment merely be to keep me from harming myself or others? (More like a quarantine)
  • What is harm? Physical harm? Psychological harm? Take verbal “hate” crime for instance. Should I be imprisoned to protect you from being psychologically harmed by taking offense of what I am saying, or should you be imprisoned to protect me from harming myself by instigating my physiological response in my reaction toward you?



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."