Friday, January 20, 2006

innuendo

Looking at C.S. Lewis’ tips on writing it would be helpful o see people actually carry out such advice. For example:

1. Always try to use the language that makes quite clear what you mean and your sentence couldn't mean anything else.

Imagine a public figure speaking without innuendo? The word, innuendo comes from the Latin innuere, meaning “to nod toward.” A good example comes from the
Monty Python “wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more.” sketch. As in…

Man: Evening, squire!
Man with hat: Good evening.
Man: Is your...is your wife a goer? Eh? Know what I mean? Know what I mean? Nudge, nudge! Know what I mean? Say no
more!
Man with hat: I-I...I beg your pardon?
Man: Your...your wife. Does she go,eh? Does she go, eh? Eh?
Man with hat: Huh, sometimes she has to go, yes.
Man: I bet she does! I bet she does! Say no more! Say no more! Know what I mean? Nudge, nudge!
Man with hat: I'm afraid I don't quite follow you...

Seeking clarity about an issue makes innuendo a tool that is specifically designed to work against clarity. Asking the listener/reader to fill in the blanks only increases the possibility that what you mean may not be what you mean. I think innuendo is most often used for two reasons.

One, you don’t want to be caught directly criticizing someone and so you use innuendo to cover up your disagreement. Two, you want to purposely try to damage another person’s position by using innuendo, hoping others will take an exaggerated view of what you alluded.

Read any news account where someone opposes someone else’s position and look for examples of innuendo. Homework for the weekend?!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."