Thursday, September 01, 2005

the means to transform my body 1

Let’s consider two don’ts and two do’s.

Don’t:

1. Idolize your body- Here is where I draw such a fine line. On the one hand, having a healthy body is very helpful in giving me energy, focus, and longevity in serving God and others. On the other hand, if I get too obsessive about my body, which includes my health, I may be too anxious about death and aging and how my body may fail me. This anxiety stifles my reliance on Jesus as the One I am secure in no matter what. Do you see the distinction? I am free to give my body over to Jesus, care for it through the wisdom I receive from him, at the same time knowing that I will receive a new glorified body some day that will live with him forever.

1 Cor. 15:43 (NLT)
Our bodies now disappoint us, but when they are raised, they will be full of glory. They are weak now, but when they are raised, they will be full of power.

I’m getting pumped already! O, there I go again.

2. Misuse your body- First, let’s all relax. Sometimes Christians get too choosy about this topic. Everyone is throwing this verse around when it is convenient to chastise someone else.

1 Cor. 6:19-20 (NLT)
Or don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, [20] for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.

First of all, when you look at the context, the Bible is talking about sexual immorality here, not whether you have stock in Starbucks. Even so, “your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit” has been used for everything from drinking coffee (Of course the latest studies show that coffee is one of the best antioxidants there is and extremely helpful in preventing diabetes. See here and here.), smoking (OK, not helpful) and drinking alcoholic beverages (I don’t drink myself but we all know of the studies of health benefits of drinking red wine etc. in moderation, if problem drinking is not a risk.)

It’s interesting that people don’t usually use this same Bible verse for exercise and proper diet. The classic case is preachers talking about the “temple of the Holy Spirit,” when, as someone once said, their own temple has a big front porch addition. The gut hanging over the belt is an occupational hazard for many clergy.

It is important for us to diet and exercise. It is important for us to get enough rest. It is a national past time for us to be overworked and undernourished. Transforming our bodies includes all of this.

The other ways we can misuse our bodies I have already addressed last week. Trying to be sexually alluring, “power” dressing, body language, verbal manipulation and such. We are to give ourselves over the Jesus, as we are now his body. How? The do’s tomorrow.














No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."