Monday, August 08, 2005

the vision to transform my mind's feelings (pt. 2)

We continue on the vision to transform my mind’s feelings.

What will Work
1. Working on feelings that move us away from sin instead of trying not to sin.
At the very earliest stages, we focus on cultivating revulsion at the feelings we now have that are sinful even if they don’t bother us. Along with this, we focus on being attracted strongly to feelings of good even if we don’t have those feelings to begin with.

Take anger as an example. I don’t simply try to avoid feeling angry. I begin to look at how unattractive I must appear when I am angry. I focus on the sense of uneasiness I have afterwards. At the same time, I have a vision of what it is like for people to be in my presence where they are relaxed and comfortable.

2. Removing the underlying condition, not just the feeling.
Why do I have the destructive feelings in the first place? What are the conditions that lead up to them? Let’s stay on the anger example.

What conditions lead to the anger? Perhaps it is a sense of privilege. If I think I deserve good things in my life and then they don’t go my way, I am offended by my circumstances. I lash out at whoever is around me. I begin to project my disappointment on anyone whom I perceive as a source of my “injustice.” I must move from the sense of privilege I have.

3. Replacing the underlying condition; the feelings will take care of themselves.
It isn’t enough just to remove the underlying condition that fuels the destructive feelings. In the example, it’s not enough to try not to feel like I must always get my own way. I must replace those conditions with healthy alternatives.

There is a universal mindset that the Bible lifts up as an antidote to all destructive feelings. Faith, hope, love, joy and peace are all part of the cure. When I am filled with these, healthy feelings become my reality.

A definition of these attributes follows tomorrow.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."