Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Thomas Jefferson

Yesterday I was thinking about something to say today concerning the fourth of July. What came to mind as I have started reading 1776, by David McCollough, is that Thomas Jefferson was 32 years old when he wrote the Declaration of Independence. Considering the history of the world up to that point, Jefferson’s own understanding of landed gentry and aristocracy and such, these words are astounding...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Why is it self-evident? How in the world do you know this, you 32 year old ‘kid” (at least to me)? Equal worth and value is what he means, I would argue. How do you gain that much maturity so soon in life?

The next time a young person is saying something to me about life, I will give it my undivided attention. At least for a while. In deference to Thomas Jefferson.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."