Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Time: The Critical Investment Every Father Needs to Make: #4-Toddlers: Part 4- Turn off the camera!

254375_1912138157961_107710464

It never really stops with the kids!

How much time do you spend electronically recording your son's life?

I have an HD video camera on my phone. Also takes beautiful digital photos. Chances are, you have the same capabilities on your phone. I also have a thin HD video camera, about the size of a credit card, and waterproof. Great for video and photos at the beach and underwater snorkeling. Obviously, no film, no cassette; only a micro SD card. 

Now, when our kids were little, Nancy had a big Canon camera with special lenses and real 35 mm film. When Kristina was born, I had a VHS video camera that needed to be rested on my shoulder with the cassette player in a separate bag. Later, with the boys, I had a micro-cassette recorder. Still heavy, but I didn't need to be lugging around an extra 4 pounds!

Today, we have tons of photo albums sitting around in various storage areas around the house. Just looked through them. I do that every couple of years. Also, we have bags of cassettes, both VHS, micro-cassette, and DV cassettes. I have no idea what is on all of those. Want to transfer them someday.  

I think of all the time I could have spent behind the view finder of those cameras long ago, and I realize now that I am fortunate the video cameras were cumbersome, and with the film cameras, you had to be judicious with your photos because you actually could run out of film, along with the fact that  you had to have the film developed! But, I really wasn't good at taking pictures and movies anyway. My loud running commentaries are funny in small doses, but get a bit obnoxious after awhile. Having an extrovert behind the viewfinder is always a video challenge. With still photos, my hands always shake, so the best pictures are from Nancy anyway. She is an excellent photographer. 

Here's the thing. Dads, today I realize how tempting it is to spend your whole time filming your little guy because he is just about the cutest, most talented child on the planet. With today's technology, you can take as many photos, and shoot as much video footage, as you want. Actually unlimited access.  So, here are a few reminders.

1. You don't want your son growing up and imprinting on you with a camera in front of your face. If this gets burned into his brain circuitry, he will have a father who is half man/ half camera. No one wants to be raised by a cyborg...yet. So, make sure you frequently give it a rest.

2. I will look at your photos from time to time, but I can take about 30 seconds of your videos. Don't think you are doing me a favor recording your son's whole life for my sake, or for the sake of others (OK, a bit more for grandparents).

3. When you are actively playing, you can't take photos and videos anyway. Does you son want action time with daddy or does he want to hear, “Ready...Action!”?

4. Your son really does exist and he really is living his life, whether you are recording it or not.

5. Video and photography are not a substitute for a father actually practicing some parenting once in a while. Yes, dad, you know who you are!

6. The precedent is set from the beginning. When your son is performing or competing in an event, let your pure joy come out by just giving your whole attention as a member of the audience or a spectator. Again, once in awhile, give the camera a rest.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pastor from LIFEhouse Church in Northridge CA, focusing on the theme, "How To Be A Christian Without Being A Jerk."